Sunday, December 11, 2011

Final Project

This was one of the most fun I've ever had working on a project for school. I loved having the creative freedom to produce a radio drama with anything I want in it. I decided that for this final project, I would re-create a radio drama similar to the "War of the Worlds." I decided to take this route because I wanted to pay homage to how influential radio dramas once were. In my opinion, there was not a more telling example of how they could influence people than the legendary war of the worlds which sparked fear in thousands of people who were listening. Having that as a historical backdrop, I was very excited to get to work.

The first step of course was the script. This process was easier than I expected. The words just seemed to flow and the script came together naturally. Next came the task of finding actors and recording. This was the best part of the process because I love to record and it is fun to record with other people and play off their emotions. After the recording was done came the most daunting task of this entire project, the editing and adding of sound effects to enhance the story. I underestimated how difficult it is to use solely sound to create a scene. I had to use many different kinds of effects, some seem trivial, such as backround crowd chatter but without them, the story would not be the same. I did have a great time adding the explosions and the sounds of the aliens attacking towards the end. I had to be careful there to not overuse anything and muffle the story. I think that I found a happy medium between the two.

This final project put an exclamation point on a great semester in Audio Production. It had its ups and downs for me but overall I walked away with great hands on knowledge on the process of producing sound as well as realizing the amazing power sound can have on a person or group. That is if they choose to listen and from now on I know I'll have my ears open.  

No comments:

Post a Comment